.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} web hit counter

Christ Port

Monday, March 21, 2011

After reading Susan's blog 日本311

I love reading Susan's blogs, as her blogs always edify my thinking. After reading Susan's blog 日本311 (click here to view), it triggers my following thoughts.

I was in primary school during the period of 「擺買 / 不買日貨」 (abstain from buying Japanese goods). There were no Chinese history lessons in HK primary school curriculum, I learnt "WWII Japanese' treatments to Chinese" during assemblies when our headmaster occasionally pumped historical information into our little mind, and informed us not to abstain from buying Japanese goods on certain days in memory of the Chinese victims during Japanese invasion. I still remember standing outside a Japanese gift shop refusing to get in with my mom & little sister, after I unsuccessful forbade my mom & sister getting into the store. I just stubbornly waited outside until they finished shopping. I continue to explain why they shouldn't buy Japanese goods that day. However, they looked at me as if I went nuts.

Of course, later on in life I learnt to dislike incidents but still like the people - I wouldn't really say "love" here, as I couldn't love them the same way Jesus loves them. I found such learning is so precious and practical that it can be widely applicable to many less-Godly trends we are facing nowadays.

Their post-disaster attitude & behaviour were quite amazing. People told me that many Japanese don't even have faith; it is not that they don't have faith but their faith is different from the eternal Faith of the describers. The Japanese virtue is formed by their "national spirit" - their love towards their country, and it is pretty amazing that such spirit can pass through generations. One thing we witness is that spirit can certainly form character.

Holy Spirit can also form holy character among God's people, but I guess first of all, people must repent, and love God's Kingdom (His Holiness). Faith, hope, love; no wonder the greatest of these is love!

(I seldom shed tears when I pray for a country. I sobbed when I was praying for Japanese after 311.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home