.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} web hit counter

Christ Port

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Birth of Sin - being mad on a bike theft

We live in an apartment where our bikes are stored in a locker in the garage. Today, my husband and I went for our weekend biking activity as usual. We took our very first bike (my husband’s bike) out from the locker room, then we returned to the locker room taking out the second bike (my bike). While we were taking out the second bike, our neighbour’s bike got knocked off from its rack; we helped putting it back to its original position. Within the 2 to 3 minutes time frame, the first bike that we took out placed at the locker’s door was stolen.

I was very mad on the first 10 minutes after the incident. An angry thought came out from my mind that I cursed a non-bodily-harmed accident would have happened to the thieve during his hurry-run-away. I felt unjust, angry, and then with a thinking sin - I cursed, although I knew it was not correct for me to curse but I could help this thought came to my mind. I told me husband my unjust feeling saying that by helping to put neighbour’s bike onto the rack caused the theft of his bike. I also told him that I could not help of not cursing. We did something good and all we got having his bike stolen. He was joggling amazingly joyfully as if nothing had happened while I was talking to him. He calmly told me that this could be God’s plan that He didn’t want us go biking this week. There might be an accident going to occur that we would have been victims, and the only way to forbid this misfortune was that to have one of our bikes removed.

All a sudden I was awaken, I recall a Bible verse from Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

I trusted this time God worked for the good of us, as built up from my pass relationship with God that how God had kept me safe from many danger situations. I must still help others even it had a cost on me, because all things God works for the good of “those who love him”. To love him, our acts have to follow his words, and then by trusting God that all things are for the good.

When I think back, I am very glad on one thing is that my husband’s spiritual growth is way ahead of me this time - this time the roles of comforter and complainer (actually I am worse than my husband in terms of being a complainer as I don’t recall any incident of him cursing anyone) have switched. Usually I can recall this Bible verse right away (even been in worse incident than this) and avoid the sinful cursing part. Maybe I love biking too much that the incident totally overwhelmed me. My feeling of unjust and anger sin has broken my harmony with my Lord.

Although this incident is an overly naive and simple comparing to others incidents I have had battled and changed their course, with God’s words as my weapons, much sophisticatedly. Sin still can easily enter me when I am not alert or/and overwhelmed my own feeling. I pray God help me be more vigilant on all births of my sinful thought and behaviour at all times.

Later on, I start thanking God. This is one of the misfortunate situations of being thankful at all times.