.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} web hit counter

Christ Port

Thursday, October 06, 2005

A deposit yielding the highest interest rate

Indeed some down to earth (practical) hints of living in beatitudes... trying to map 8 beatitudes from the Gospel (Matthew 5:3-10): see that this deposit yields the highest interest rate - Kingdom of Heaven!:

> 1. Free your heart from hatred.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.

> 2. Free your mind from worries.

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of
righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for
righteousness,
for they will be filled.

> 3. Live simply.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.

> 4. Give more.

Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth
.

> 5. Expect less.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
.

Reference:
  • http://biblelookup.blogspot.com/2005/10/beatitudes.html
  • http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%205&version=31


    --- a brother forwarded me this email:
    A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud
    man, who is fully dressed each
    morning by eight o'clock, with his hair
    fashionably coifed and shaved
    perfectly applied, even though he is legally
    blind, moved to a nursing home
    today. His wife of 70 years recently passed
    away, making the move
    necessary. After many hours of waiting
    patiently in the lobby of the
    nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his
    room was ready. As he maneuvered his walker
    to the elevator, I provided a visual description of
    his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that
    had been hung on his window.
    "I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of
    an eight-year-old having just been presented
    with a new puppy.
    "Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just
    wait."
    "That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied.
    "Happiness is something you decide on ahead of
    time. Whether I like my room
    or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is
    arranged ... it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it.
    "It's a decision I make
    every morning when I wake up. I have a choice;
    I can spend the day in bed
    recounting the difficulty I have with the parts
    of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and
    be thankful for the ones that do.
    Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open
    I'll focus on the new day
    and all the happy memories I've stored away.
    Just for this time in my life.
    Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what
    you've put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of
    happiness in the bank account of memories.
    Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank. I am still
    depositing.

    Remember the five simple rules to be happy:
    1. Free your heart from hatred.
    2. Free your mind from worries.
    3. Live simply.
    4. Give more.
    5. Expect less.