.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} web hit counter

Christ Port

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Bible Study with a two and a half year old: Baby Jesus & Baby Moses


I was reading a children storybook about the birth of Jesus to a two and a half year old boy. We saw an illustration of baby Jesus sleeping in the manger, and I said, “This is baby Jesus.”

The two-year-old boy shook his head (who saw Baby Moses in Veggie Tales before) said, “Baby Moses!”

I said, “This is baby Jesus. Jesus and Moses are friends.”

He kept on saying “Baby Moses”, and pointed at each pictorial character and asked me the name of each.

[When I got home, I told my husband that I had trouble explaining God’s cross time & space mystery to a two-year-old.]

A couple days later, we read the same children storybook and asked him who is the baby sleeping in the manger. The two-year-old said, “Baby Jesus!”. Then he wanted me to go through the pictorial characters on the book again. He asked, “Baby Moses? [Where is baby Moses].”
 
Now I got it - he meant where is baby Moses, if Jesus and Moses were friends. He was confused! So we “go back to the Bible” for reference! We looked into his pictorial Bible for Children (with OT & NT). I showed him the illustration of baby Moses in a basket floating along the riverbank, then I turned into the NT and showed him the illustration of baby Jesus sleeping in the manger. After that, I showed him the transfiguration picture that beard Jesus was with beard Moses and beard Elijah on the mountain, and explained to him that baby Jesus & baby Moses had grown up. He smiled [I guess the puzzle was clarified]. My husband told him when boys grew up they would have beard growing on their faces. He touched my husband rough shaved beard and he laughed.
 
Therefore, it is important to have a children Bible around us when we are telling Bible stories to kids. Always “go back to the Bible”, if kids are confused about any pieces in the storytelling book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home